Saturday, July 6, 2013

Why Make Bitters When You Can Be Bitter?


Here are a link and an excerpt to a blog post for a co-worker's efforts to start his own business and I'm glad to give him props to my small circle of readers.  If you are one who likes to put a little culture into your drinking, I highly recommend you investigate the trend of bitters; and if you are in or near Minnesota, you should buy some Dashfire.


Since orange is one of the original and most popular types of bitters, it’s called for in a number of classic whiskey cocktails. So Egbert thought to base his bitters on a quality bourbon, Old Weller Antique, instead of a neutral grain spirit.
His bitters are also distinct because they receive some barrel age. He lugged his 5-gallon barrel from Black Swan Cooperage into the bar, beeswax chipping around the rim, still fresh from draining batch number one, and emitting a powerful citrus-bourbon musk. The oak is both toasted and charred, producing Dashfire’s distinct woodsy-vanilla aftertaste.

I've always been more of a craft beer connoisseur, but I decided to branch out to harder stuff with Dashfire bitters.  I really enjoyed the flavor, but I think the bitters should be renamed "Doubtfire," as after three drinks, I woke up the next morning in a dress.  I'm sure a more experienced drinker will have better (or the same) results.


I must admit this post is a little bittersweet (ha!) for me.  I'm happy for my friend to be pursuing his dreams and all indications are he's succeeding.  However, a part of me can't help being envious as I continue to moisten my chair at a soul-sucking job in a cube farm until my desiccated remains are brushed into an urn and sent to my daughter.  Maybe I should make my own bitters and name it "Bile."  Doesn't get much more bitter than that, amiright?

By the way, who here thinks I look like a cross between Anthony Edwards and Bill O'Reilly?





No comments:

Post a Comment