Monday, January 13, 2014

365 in 365 for 2014: Images 006 through 012

A fairly quiet week this week, if you call surviving the Polar Vortex and traveling to Rochester, MN quiet.  The Vortex was something to behold.  I read one post on Twitter that the temperatures in Minnesota were colder than some places on Mars.  Mars!  I'm no astronaut, but I think that's even farther than the moon.

Other reports said this was the coldest air mass to settle onto Minnesota since 1996.  I moved here in 1995, and that year I was initiated to Minnesota winters with record snowfall.  Why I didn't leave after the second winter with record wind chills is beyond me.  By 1998, G-Bug was born, so I've been pretty much anchored here until she goes to college.  Where and when we decide to move will be dependent on where she decides to matriculate and how much we have to spend to help her go there.

Below are the first full week of pictures for 2014

No. 006:  01-06-2014
On the Sunday before the Polar Vortex hit, I was shoveling
the front walk.  Afterwards, when trying to clean a smudge
from my glasses with my shirt, they snapped in my hand.
I think the cold made them brittle.
























No. 007:  01-07-2014
Rice Park still in its Holiday finery with the Landmark Center
seen in the background.  For those of you who might be worried
those are not frozen victims of the Polar Vortex.




































No. 008:  01-08-2014
Overlooking Phalen Boulevard with the Hamm's (later Stroh's)
brewery buildings in the background.  St. Paul enjoyed
a "golden hops age" when the city was a major beer producer.




















No. 009:  01-09-2014
A favorite lunch spot, the Smack Shack in the North Loop of Mpls.
I usually get the lobster mac & cheese, but they do offer a
Connecticut style lobster roll.  Growing up in CT, I didn't think
the state had a style of anything.




















No. 010:  01-10-2014
A large pedestrian bridge connecting Boom Island Park to Nicollet
Island in Minneapolis.

















No. 011:  01-11-2014
G-Bug had scared the competition off the court in the first day
of the Rochester Scrimmage.




















No. 012:  01-12-2014
The Intimidator moments before she does her Dikembe
Mutombo "not in my house" finger wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment