Sunday, July 13, 2014

For One Week, The "Happiest Place on Earth" Wasn't


Well, it's Sunday and a full week back from my vacation.  Having a four day work week to get back into the swing of things would have been just the way I would have drawn it up if I actually planned it.  We had an absolutely gorgeous July 4th weekend, most of which was spent outside doing yard work. Yet another storm rolled in the early hours this morning, and left a small amount of rain, but the day is hot and muggy and perfect for staying indoors for things like laundry and blogging.

The first half of my vacation started on Thursday and was spent in Orlando to attend the AAU National Tournament for G-Bug's volleyball team. We would probably have enjoyed being in Orlando more if the tournament was held in February, like the one in Wisconsin Dells, but the Orange County Convention Center was a nice place to be to get out of the mid-90 degree heat.



I had given my family the heads-up on the tournament months in advance, envisioning the trip would be a good way for all of us to get together this year. My brother and his family stayed the whole week we were there, while my mom was in town from Thursday to Monday.  As an added bonus, my aunt and uncle, who live in the Palm Beach area, drove into town for the weekend.  The tournament ran from Saturday afternoon until Tuesday, so there were a couple of "free" days for G-Bug, although she was required to stay with her team.

Our crew had rented two two-bedroom condos at Lake Buena Vista Resort.  My mom stayed with my brother's family while G-Bug's mom stayed with the Wife and me. Let me repeat that for effect, I was staying in a two-bedroom condo with my wife and ex-wife. Fortunately, the master bedroom and bath were on one side of the condo and a second bedroom and bathroom were on the other side, so we were able to stay out of each other's way.

The first night we all went out for a group dinner, G-Bug's mom included.  We tried to go to Downtown Disney, but we followed the cones and traffic attendants in an elaborate loop that got us back to the main road we took to get into downtown.  We settled on Landry's Seafood House, which, as a second choice, was pretty nice.  Our waitress was a sour prune and put on the hard sell to buy member cards to other restaurants or theme parks, but we declined. The food was excellent, as I had a crab stuffed Mahi and the Wife had a Cedar Planked Salmon.

We were finished with dinner after 10p and we tried to make our way back to the resort. I had followed my brother in our rental car to get to the restaurant and with the detour around the crowded Downtown Disney, I had lost my bearings. I wanted to follow him back to the resort and be there before 11p as we all could visit G-Bug before curfew. Mom had said it was just a couple of lefts to get there, so we chanced it on our own.  The roads were still busy with traffic and the stop lights off the main road only allowed a couple cars to go through before changing. I was gunning through "pinks" (just turned reds) by the third light.

We saw a building with 'Lake Buena Vista' on the side, but the building was a different resort.  I pulled into the parking lot, but was confused by the traffic cones by the entrance, as our resort didn't have any construction near it. We made a U-turn and I waited for a break in the traffic to get back on the highway.  Once on the road, I quickly realized I didn't see any of the landmarks that were close to our resort.  The signs for the airport confirmed we were headed the wrong way.

My biggest pet peeve is stupidity. I have little patience when others exhibit it and get very angry with myself when I do. Plus, a clock was ticking in my head to get back in time to see G-Bug.  Needless to say, when I asked my three passengers for help with directions, I used some serious invective and my foot became leaden.  And let me confirm for effect, I had my mom, wife, and ex-wife in the car with me. The directions were a back-up, now that I knew what road we were traveling. I knew once we turned around I would be able to find my way again. When we dropped off mom at her condo, my brother's family had already gone to bed and we only had a few minutes to see G-Bug. We decided to pass on a visit with her.


The next morning we had breakfast by the pool. The bar offered simple breakfast sandwiches that I washed down with a couple mimosas. The other half of the group arrived later and waited for G-Bug to meet us. They were going to Universal Studios for the day and we made plans to join them after we did some shopping for supplies. G-Bug eventually came down with her team and exchanged some quick hellos with everyone before joining her team mates in the pool. We stayed poolside for a little longer, then went shopping.

We made our way to Universal Studios in the late afternoon. Anyone who's been there knows parking is an elaborate maze. Once parked, you have to run a gauntlet of moving walkways and kiosk vendors before reaching the City Walk. This area is filled with shops, restaurants, and a large movie theater. There's actually two amusement parks - Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Not knowing which park the rest of my family was, the Wife and I decided to wait at a "Tiki hut" bar across from Margaritaville until we got confirmation, which we had after a beer. The line for tickets was only the fraction of the size we experienced in November a couple years ago, but the $100 price tag was hard to swallow, especially for only a few hours in the park. Luckily the decision was made for us when the skies opened up like a sign from God.


We decided not to go into the park and texted Mom to find us back at the Margaritaville hut. We took stock on options and seeing the $17 for parking a shame to waste, Mom, the Wife and I decided to do some window shopping and take in the evening showing of "The Neighbors." I liked the movie, but I tried to ignore the fact my mom was sitting next to me during the more risque scenes.

Saturday afternoon was the start of the volleyball tournament at the OCCC, but the morning was spent poolside again. My brother found a quiet corner behind the pirate ship that housed the water slide in the main pool. We spent most of the morning in the water, either catching my young nephew as he made repeated attempts down the slide or throwing a football in the pool with my oldest nephew. After a couple hours, we grabbed lunch and headed to the OCCC for G-Bug's kickoff match at 2p.

I was the default Captain Stubing for this adventure as I encouraged everyone to see G-Bug play. Text messages buzzed from all over Florida and remarkably, all parties arrived in time for the first serve. G-Bug's team made short work of Maine Juniors 16 Gold (ME) 25-18; 25-23 and 951 Elite 16-2 (CA) 25-16; 25-21. They won the first game against ASICS Munciana Pandas (IN) 25-18, but the Pandas made adjustments and Kokoro couldn't respond. They lost the last two matches 18-25; 12-15. Not a bad showing as the Pandas was one of four teams to finish 5th in the Club 16 group. G-Bug didn't play at all. 

My sister-in-law left with her youngest soon after arriving and my aunt and uncle left after the second match. The remaining people left the OCCC at about 9p. When we entered the Convention Center, we were close to the south lot. There were over 140 courts in two halls and G-Bug's court was on the north end. My plan was to take the closest exit and circle to where we parked. Unfortunately, others didn't see the logic in the plan and I fielded several questions about what we were doing. I learned I don't have the temperament to be a Press Secretary.

Traffic was crazy again and our trip was further delayed by a wrong turn by yours truly, which I handled more gracefully this time. Due to the late hour, we chose to have room service for dinner. While we ate, we made plans to have brunch with my aunt and uncle the next morning. G-Bug's team had the first match at 8a, but wouldn't play again until 11a, so there would be little harm in missing one match out of four days of competition. After dinner, the adults played a rousing game of Cards Against Humanity, which mom won. We packed it in just short of midnight.

Brunch the next morning was at Cafe Matisse at the Rosen Plaza Hotel. My aunt and uncle were waiting for us when we arrived. Brunch was buffet style and I filled up on some fruit, biscuits and gravy, and some pastries. I also finished leftover bacon from my nephews' plates. We chatted for a while, shared family stories, and made promises to come visit my aunt and uncle at their place. My brother's family and mom were going to spend the day at Disney. As it turns out, the Wife and I wouldn't be far away as Kokoro's Day Two of the tournament was at the ESPN Wild World of Sports Complex, just a left turn away from the parking area of Disney World.



Kokoro lost the first match of the day against WI Jrs 16 Elite (WI) 19-25; 21-25. Apparently there was some controversy as G-Bug's coach received a yellow card for arguing a point and the down referee made several calls against her team. The next match was against Adversity Wisconsin 16-1 (WI) which Kokoro won in three sets 21-25; 26-24; 16-14. All sets were hard fought and G-Bug's team really showed its mettle by winning the final two sets after trailing. The team historically had trouble rallying when down, but did so a lot the entire tournament. G-Bug got her first taste of competition with a serve she got over the net. Her coach didn't want her in the back row, so she was quickly substituted. Kokoro won its final match against Capital 16 Navy (WI) 25-23; 27-25. So, Day 2 was filled with playing Cheeseheads, none of whom finished better than Kokoro. As a Minnesota resident, this pleases me to no end.




The early start meant an early finish and we had the rest of the day to ourselves. The Wife and I did some shopping for some birthday decorations and a cupcake cake as it was my youngest nephew's 6th birthday the next day. The hectic schedule was very tiring, so I spent the afternoon watching a little of the World Cup and took a nap. I was awake in time to watch the US take on Portugal. I watched until the US tied the game at one goal each and then our condo group went to Smokey Bones for dinner. I got a plate of ribs that were pretty good, but I've had better at places in Kansas City and Houston. I wrapped up the night by watching TV until bed.

Day 3 was back at OCCC in the early morning. The Wife had work to do and would miss the morning matches. There were two scheduled matches to begin the day, and then a third match against a team determined by the results of the early matches, and finally an afternoon match with another TBD team. The first team was Blue Crab Faith (LA) - Faith being the name of the coach. Kokoro won the first set by a close 25-22 score, but it was clear G-Bug's team was the stronger one. This was proven true in the second set when Kokoro built a 20-5 lead. G-Bug was put into the rotation by this time and scored a point at the net and got her one serve over the net. Final score was 25-11. The second match was against Mizuno Northern Lights 16-Black (MN). This club team has a facility in Burnsville, MN where G-Bug played for the local Mahtomedi team (now defunct). Kokoro lost the first set 15-25, but came back strong in the second to lose 25-27. Northern Lights was the second of four teams to finish 5th in the Club 16 group.

A couple hours later, Kokoro played the Jellys 16s (FL). Now that G-Bug had some time on the floor, she was put into the rotation. She would play mostly at the net as a right side hitter, but had some occasion to serve. By this time, the team's path was clear. Should they win against the Jellys and the match in the afternoon, it would be seeded in the championship bracket on Tuesday for a chance at the title. Losing the next two matches would have them finish no worse than 25th or so. After a tough first set, Kokoro emerged victorious 25-23. The second set was much easier at 25-16. The next opponent was Grand Strand 16 Alex (SC) at 6p.

Mom was flying back home in the evening and had spent the day with my brother's family at Universal Studios again. Monday was one of the hottest of the week and she was eager to accept my invitation to take her to the airport. I left the Convention Center with G-Bug's mom to pick her up at Universal. After dropping off the ex at the resort, mom and I went to Denny's for lunch and a quiet chat with no interruptions. We braved another quick cloud burst on the way to the airport. Afterwards, I picked up the Wife and G-Bug's mom and we were back at the OCCC about 20 minutes before the first serve. The Grand Strand was tough and beat Kokoro 19-25; 16-25. That team would end the tournament one of six teams in 9th place.

The Universal Studios contingent was returning to the condos at about the time we were leaving the Convention Center. We brought the cake and a frozen pizza for dinner during the birthday festivities. We ate, drank, and watched Iron Man on TV. We were all spent and called it quits after the movie.

Tuesday was bracket play.  One and done.  You lose, you go home; but only after reffing the next match.  Kokoro had drawn No Limits N2 (IL). My brother brought his oldest to the competition and as a special treat we learned G-Bug was one of the starting six.  Earlier that week I had downloaded a volleyball scoring app to keep track during the match.  I handed the phone over to my nephew to keep score so I could video G-Bug playing.  She made the most of her court time.  She played right side hitter and was able to make a couple sets to the left hitter and made a backwards overhead set that went over the net. She was called for a double hit, but it looked impressive.  Her best play was getting a block on the opponent's tough outside hitter to put Kokoro up 23-22.  



Unfortunately, the team couldn't carry the day and fell 25-27 in the first set.  G-Bug started the second set and was involved in a number of plays.  She had a couple chances to serve, getting one point for her team.  There was a controversial net call on Kokoro which delayed the game for several minutes as G-Bug's coach called a challenge.  The other team was awarded the point and the wind went out of Kokoro's sails.  The team made a valiant effort, but lost 21-25.  No Limits finished as one of two teams in 17th place.  Kokoro shared 19th place with three other teams; not a bad showing considering the team entered the tournament ranked about 66th.

For our last night in Florida, we spent some time poolside and then went out to dinner at Bahama Breeze.  I went all out with conch fritters as an appetizer and washed it down with a dark & stormy.  I can't remember what I had for dinner, but I'm sure I enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed the red ale I drank to wash it down.  After dinner, we went miniature golfing at Pirate's Cove, a traditional haunt during our Cape Cod vacations. The night was hot and sticky and we left with a sheen of sweat.  The Wife and I tied at 50 strokes, while my brother beat us by one stroke. We had designs to take a night swim, but the pools were closed by the time we got back to the resort. My brother's family had an early flight in the morning, so we said our preliminary goodbyes.  We did run into them the next day, my brother bringing six beers we didn't finish earlier in the week.  Since we had a later flight, The Wife and I did our best to finish the remaining alcohol by the "adult" pool in the morning. We left some in the fridge with a note that the cleaning staff should take them as a reward, since we didn't leave a tip.

When we got home, the Wife had to go back to work immediately.  I decided to use the full week as a vacation and spent the days surveying the flooding that occurred (and still exists) around the Twin Cities. Those pictures will have to be for another blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment