Tuesday, February 25, 2014

365 in 365 for 2014: Images 034 through 040

This is just a "get me over" post on the picture project. What can I tell you? Just more cold, snow, and misery for the week.  The thought occurred to me, this winter is exactly the type I worried about suffering before moving to Minnesota. Hard to imagine I've been spoiled over the last 17 or so years.

The recent cold reminded me of a newsletter article I wrote for the first company I worked when I moved to Minnesota. I kept all the editions where I was either mentioned or featured or had published work. Here is what I wrote in February 1997:

There is one characteristic which defines a state and differentiates that state from the others.  A sense of pride is formed from that characteristic and binds the residents together.  I have recently discovered the one characteristic in which all Minnesotans find pride. 
Is it the Twins?  Not lately. 
Is it the Vikings?  Not likely.
Is it the magical splendor of a golden sun sparking on one of the numerous lakes of which Minnesota gets its nickname?  Not really.
The pride of Minnesota is the winter's bitter cold.  To survive temperatures that drop 60 degrees below zero, one needs strength.  My mother visited me recently for the holidays and she did what all visitors to Minnesota do - she went to the Mall of America.  While at the register at one store, a clerk pegged her as an outsider.
"Visiting for the holidays?" he asked.
"Yes.  I'm trying to get out of the cold."  The temperature had warmed from the prior week and was a balmy 20 degrees that day.
The clerk's eyes twinkled and his chest heaved with pride.  "Do you know how cold it gets around here?"
Minnesota winters are famous.  While living in Boston, my fiancee tried to convince me to move to Minnesota with her.  She wanted to return home but I wanted no part of the bitter cold.
"Come on.  The winters aren't that bad."
A few months later we were on our way.  My first winter consisted of record-breaking, history making temperatures.  This winter is my second and I have faced near record-setting snowfall - and survived!  I have spoken with family who live in the northwest and they are coping with temperatures in the 20s and 30s.
"Rookies. Do you know how cold it gets around here?"

Here is a week of cold pictures.  Better ones are in the offing.

No. 034:  02-03-2014
A sure sign Minnesotans have given up.






















No. 035:  02-04-2014
The lights of Minneapolis looked really crisp on this night
and there was a touch of winter's dusk.
This is what my camera was able to capture.


















No. 036:  02-05-2014
Tried again the next night at a different location.  Meh.

















No. 037:  02-06-2014
The gated community of Como Zoo and Conservatory.
















No. 038:  02-07-2014
Snow's piling up on and around the birdbath!



















No. 039:  02-08-2014
Pretty much says it all about Minnesota.


















No. 040:  02-09-2014
G-Bug getting direction from the coach before the serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment