Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Dirty Dozen: SitRep 10-12-11



Today marks the second full year of having my Dirty Dozen IRA account with Sharebuilder.  All in all, I’m pleased with the progress of my portfolio, but there are still changes I would like to make.  I will probably make my next moves tomorrow, or Day 1 of my third year with the portfolio.
Paychex, Inc. (PAYX) announced its next quarterly dividend with additional good news.  They will be increasing the dividend payout by $.01 a share.  The ex-dividend date is 10/28/11 and the pay date is 11/15/11.  Factoring in the shares I could receive with reinvestment, this equates to over $5.00 in additional dividend revenue over the next four quarters.  The stock has performed well since the announcement and reached the best profit level since I first purchased shares mid-January of this year.
Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) continues to see its stock price increase and achieves new 52-week High prices just about every other day.  If the stock price can keep from growing by $.95 by November 1, I will receive another full share and have another $.33 in cushion for the next quarter.  If the stock continues to grow like it is, I won’t be able to get a full share every quarter, which really isn’t a bad thing in the long-term.
In other good news, Mattel (MAT) reached its highest profit level in the near full year I have owned the stock.  Similarly, Polaris Industries (PII) has reached its highest profit level.  A. Schulman Inc. (SHLM) has also achieved its highest profit level, but only since the August retool.

The one black sheep of the group is Middlesex Water Company (MSEX).  Of the 116 trading days I have owned this stock, I have seen a profit on two of them.  The profitability range has been +$10.50 on the high end and -$197.40 on the low.  The dividend payout is the second lowest of the stocks I own at $.1825 per share.  My new plan is to sell my stake of MSEX and with the money left over from my last transactions purchase shares of Hawaiian Electric Industries (HE).  The stock pays dividends in the same months of MSEX (M3Q), but the dividend is much higher at $.31 per share.  I can immediately improve my annual dividends in 2011 by $8.74 with the moves.
Today being the end of a full year, it is a good time to review how my portfolio has performed since I completed my retooling in August.  Assuming I made no changes prior to the start of the debt ceiling debate and chose to ride out the market volatility, I would be $2,780 in the hole from where I sit at the end of today’s trading session.
For the one year period for 10/13/10 to 10/12/11, my portfolio grew 4.52%.  I was a bad boy and took some early disbursements to help me through some tight spots.  Including those monies in the calculations, my portfolio earned roughly 16.85%.  Who knows what percentage growth my portfolio could have had if I hadn’t withdrawn this money.

No comments:

Post a Comment