Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Dirty Dozen: SitRep 07-11-2013: I Killed Lee Marvin!



I read somewhere it's important for an investor not to get emotional when buying and selling stocks in his portfolio.  Perhaps naming my portfolio "The Dirty Dozen" and identifying my stake in Hershey Company (HSY) as the Lee Marvin of the group made it hard for me to pull the trigger on my recent stock moves.  However, once I did the math and saw the increase in my dividend income, it wasn't that hard to pull the plug.  Sorry, Lee.

I made two big moves recently with my portfolio.  I sold my stake in HSY, which was 25% of my portfolio.  I also sold all of my shares of Bristol-Meyers-Squibb (BMY).  Both of these stocks' prices grew higher than the quarterly dividend income I received.  This prevented me from getting one full share every quarter, which is my investing goal.  I took those proceeds and invested in Kraft Foods (KRFT) and Darden Restaurants (DRI).  I was able to buy more shares in each than I had with HSY and BMY; plus, Kraft pays $.08 cents more per share than Hershey in dividends, while Darden increased its dividend to $.55 per share - $.20 more per share than Bristol-Meyers-Squibb.

Here is the breakdown of my portfolio, still two stocks short of being The Dirty Dozen:

First Month of Quarter Payers
B&G Foods (BGS)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    +$13.56
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       4.75
·      
  • Reached new 52-week high and achieved highest profit on investment

Kraft Foods (KRFT)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    +$0.45
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       5.25

Xcel Energy (XEL)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    +$3.61
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       6.00

Crown Crafts, Inc. (CRWS)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    +$0.38
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       13.00

Second Month of Quarter Payers
Paychex (PAYX)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    +$12.06
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       4.00
  • Reached new 52-week high and achieved highest profit on investment
  • Just increase dividend to $0.35 per share

NutriSystem (NTRI)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    $2.88
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       6.75
  • Reduced my stake in this stock

Darden Restaurants, Inc. (DRI)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    -$0.27
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       6.25


Third Month of Quarter Payers
Mattel (MAT)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    +$20.94
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       4.00
  • Achieved highest profit on investment

Waste Management (WM)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    +$9.34
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       4.00


Pitney Bowes (PBI)
Profit/Loss Per Share:                                    -$0.47
Annual Reinvested Shares Pace:                       5.25
  • Cut dividend in half

No comments:

Post a Comment