Sunday, September 7, 2014

The 2014-15 Bowling Season Has Begun!



Don't let the words on the shoes fool you, I own these bad boys!  A nice birthday gift from The Wife to support my interests in health and athleticism.  The start of September means the start of another bowling season.

The lead up to this season has been a little more stressful than others in the past. We had three of the ten teams collapse due to some people leaving the company and the league had a tough time filling the gaps.  There are now eight teams, but in a bit of irony, there are 60 names of people interested in bowling - enough to alley ten teams and half as many again for substitutes and alternates. I'm sure people like the idea of bowling as a fun thing to do every once in a while, especially when the weather gets bad and you're looking for something to do; but the season runs 29 weeks, from September to April, and playing for a league is a huge commitment in time and money. The season is already split into two halves; we might just have two 12 weeks seasons with position and final rounds at the end of each. Just need to make sure we get 40 bowlers for each season.

One of the spots to fill was the Captain of my team. She is still with the company, but in a new role and has a lot of family obligations this year. Since I was handling most of her team duties anyway, transitioning her out didn't take much effort. Finding someone to fill her spot did. We made her and another former co-worker, and current teammate, into alternates, but we needed someone who could bowl more regularly. The Wife got rid of her Thursday night shift, so I asked if she would be interested. I was about to mix my work and my personal life on the one night I get a brief respite from responsibilities at home. We all have to make sacrifices to keep the league going, gang!

I had a very satisfactory start to the bowling season, as I was able to beat my last year's average by a couple of pins.  As always, I've captured my stat line. The Wife did not do as well, and in deference to her, I will not make her scores a matter of public record. I will say we finished two pitchers of beer and a plate of avocado bean dip with chips. I look forward to similar results!

September 4, 2014
Game 1
7/, X, 4-, 9/, 6/, X, 63, 7-, 71, 9- = 126

Game 2
07, 7/, 8/, 9/, 71, 81, X, X, 8/, 7/X = 163

Game 3
9-, 63, 81. 8/, X, 9/, X, 9/, 7/, 6/8 = 158

Series Total:  447
Series Avg.:   149
Est Hdcp.:       43

No comments:

Post a Comment