Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Road Runs By It



Friday is casual day at my work and I usually take advantage of the day to take a “casual” commute.  One of my favorite drives is along the Mississippi River Boulevard.  I connect with the road in St. Paul where it is known as Warner Road and Shepard Road and am afforded a lot of picturesque views of the river as I make my way west.  The name change to Mississippi River Boulevard happens at the crossing of Highway 5 and that’s where I met this rafter of wild turkeys (yes, I looked it up).


This wasn’t my only run-in with wild life while traveling on the river road.  This past October, I stopped at an overlook near Lock and Dam No. 1 across from the defunct Ford Ranger Assembly plant to take some pictures of the fall foliage.  After getting a couple shots of a very bright sugar maple, I was returning to my car when I heard an unusual screech.  I looked into the trees on the river side of the road and saw a bald eagle perched on a limb.  I approached him slowly and took a couple pictures.  I watched him for a few minutes and then caught a flash of movement in another tree further down.  There was a second eagle, which I presumed was its mate.




Another time, during the warmer months, I was driving and slowed to a stop before disturbing a red tailed hawk standing in the road.  A rabbit was unsuccessful in crossing the road and the hawk, being a skilled opportunist as well as hunter, was standing over the carcass.  The hawk seemed to be debating his next move.  A car approached from the other side and also stopped a respectful distance away.  Now, with a growing audience, the hawk made a quick decision, grabbed the rabbit in its talons, and took off toward the trees.  I think the rabbit might have been a little too large as the hawk stayed very low to the ground.  As I passed the other driver, we gave each other a “thumbs-up’ to the scene we just witnessed.

One early morning last year, I saw what first looked like a dog come tearing around the corner of the Ford Plant, dash across the street, and ran toward the woody bank of the river.  When it passed my car, I got a better look and realized it was a grey wolf.

Also near the Ford Plant is a second overlook to the Hidden Falls – Crosby Farm Regional Park.  I had pulled into the parking lot to get some pictures of the sunset.  I walked toward the stone wall separating the lot and the steep bank of the river and was immediately face-to-face with a doe.  We looked at each other in surprise, as if asking “what are you doing here?”  I had my camera in my jacket pocket and I knew any sudden movement would spook the deer.  I slowly pulled the camera out and took a couple pictures.  The deer never moved.  So, I selected the video feature and recorded about 30 seconds of the deer chewing a leaf.  I slowly backed away from the stone wall and took some pictures of the surrounding countryside and setting sun.  Unfortunately, all that evidence was lost to a computer virus.

My last memorable run-in with wild life was with a pig, who gave me a speeding ticket for going 35 miles per hour in a 25mph zone.  Just kidding!  I mean, I did get a speeding ticket, but I have nothing but respect for our men and women in blue.

As I mentioned before, when not encountering wildlife, there are some amazing vistas to see on the River Road.





No comments:

Post a Comment